Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Wire

I just started watching The Wire about a week ago and I am trying to dig my way through it on Netflix and it is one of those things that when I start watching a disc I really can't stop until I'm done with it. It really is one of the best shows on television and one of the best shows to come out for a very long time. If you enjoyed The Shield you have to check this out.

It follows a group of narcotics agents trying to break down a drug racket in Baltimore as well as the dealers they are following. The depth of characters and the connection between the functioning groups is amazing. They display how power in no matter what area it is possessed still functions the same way. Whether it be the chief of police or the leader of the drug gang they still use the same tactics to influence, intimidate, and take advantage of their subordinates. You have to watch this show. It has been receiving massive amounts of critical acclaim but for some reason kind of just slipping under the radar while shows like Lost are getting massive amounts of public attention when I think The Wire completely blows it away. There are no gimmicks of quarks trying to confuse you into watching. Lost uses the catch and release technique. They will set up the story and introduce you to odd plot point after odd plot point just enticing you to watch to figure out what the hell is going on. I think the beauty of a show like The Wire is that the story is straight forward and you don't really have to question what is going on but the occurances are interesting enough to keep you there. It's direct entertainment. If you don't trust my opinion enough listen to this guy, he gets paid to give his educated opinion.



Watch it bitches!

0 comments: